Sunday, June 8, 2008

Hotaru Matsuri (Fireflies Festival)

Of course you know the word Hotaru which mean firefly in japanese...
In many anime and japanese movies you should have seen it...
its a small insect that emits beautiful green light from a special organ in its tail...
well...
Yesterday I heard from my friends that there is fireflies festival just next to our dorm....
And because I've never seen a real Hotaru in my life...(come on! we don't have them in Jordan)
It was a great chance...
The place was Ohbaku temple
It was already dark when we reach the temple (I think you know why....)
and the weather was really fine.....and those small yellow lamps on the floor with the smell of incense all around the place.....WOW that was really Romantic.
And of course the main star of the event (HOTARU)
there was many of them flying around the place
specially around the lake...
they flew slow and the patterns of emitting light....wow that was really beautiful..
and to add to the beauty ...there was a band ...playing some good music...
with some hotaru flying around ...
It was a good night indeed ...
but unfortunately I couldn't take photos...because my mobile camera isn't that good at night
and even if I took some the fireflies will appear like small green dots in black background....
Sorry every on I really wish you could've seen that.
But I hope I describe it in a good way so you can imagine...

5 comments:

Biraru said...

おもしろいな~
俺も蛍を見たい~
レポートをありがとう ^^

Amani AbuQdais أماني أبوقديس said...

Nice description! I want to see them too.
I wonder if I can do so here.
Anyway, anyone who watches anime would be able to imagine them, they are well portrayed in anime like rurouni kenshin..but of course, the real thing is always different!

prometheus said...

great description, as if I've seen them. lol

Saemon 左衛門 said...

zannnnnnnen!

I saw fireflies when I visited Kansas.. magical creatures!

Here's a haiku by Basho about fireflies, in English because I can't find the japanese version:

"The firefly as it dropped from the leaf, away it flew"

This is one of the haikus I chose for the speech contest in 2004.

This is maybe my first comment here, so: salam Tareq! Nobu ni yoroshiku o!

Celadon said...

Tareq you have inspired me with your photos and comments on the firefly festival! This is my first post. I am reading a beautiful book of haiku, A Net of Fireflies, and the opening piece is by Buson:
"What a delightful game it is to set fireflies loose in bed beneath the net!" It's accompanied by a haiku brush painting of a ceiling net full of fireflies over a bed. I used to catch fireflies in a big jar every summer in my backyard in Massachusetts. What a delight to see the neon green lantern light up! We saw them into the 1970's but no more. At the time, I read a clipping in the New York Times that Edogawa Ward in Tokyo was spending thousands to breed them since they were disappearing. It's so inspiring to see the tradition alive today. I've never been to Japan (I live in Los Angeles now) but have a couple Japanese friends that I can share the culture and language with here. Omedeto!